Monday, August 13, 2018

Review of the S-Model 1/72 scale M151A1/A2 MUTT

Review by Jorge Del Rio

I started playing Twilight 2000, while serving overseas with US Air Force, as a Security Forces member, and where I was stationed we used Jeeps in some of our patrols. When I started playing I collected some of the Miniatures that went with the game and added some Hotspur and MERC figures. When the game went dormant in my area I continued playing other games which used the miniatures. After finding out that this group existed I was able to put all the miniatures that I had collected and was using for another game to use, so I started looking for some other miniature and Models that I could use.

The M151A1
In my area we have a large group of reenactors that play out different battles from World War 2 and Vietnam, in which I have participated in. a couple of them have the Ford M151A1 and M151A2 MUTT jeeps, and quite frankly it is a great utility vehicle.

In my gaming, I pursued a location which could be built up into a safe haven for my players from which they could go out and conduct raids and search and destroy mission, and with the New America Cells cropping up everywhere it was perfect, what better place than Cedar Key, which is a small island chain that has its own Airport and port. With a large population of reenactors, I built a new location, and gave them the ultimate tool the M151A1 jeeps.

Image taken from S-Model Website

The Kit: 
The box contains 2 models which were able to be easily built with the weapons included in the  model kit. The kit has parts for an M2.50 Cal and a M60 LMG, I’m now searching to see if I can find a TOW armed version that I can add as a salvage unit. 

The model box contain 2 sprues, all the parts for a given vehicle are on one sprue.

The model is relatively easy to build, took me 15 minutes. 

The biggest issue with me is that it has photo etched parts (which I’m not a big fan of) and no replacement for the parts in plastic. 

The model is easy and pleasing to the eye. If you get it you will definitely enjoy it. I give it 4 out of 5 mushroom clouds, with the photo etched parts being the only real drawback.

1 comment:

  1. I got a couple of boxes of these. Great little kit. I've partially built mine but my plan is to convert them into USMC FAVs with Elhiem crew. I got some plastic tubing to build the roll bars the other day...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Twilight 2000, The Look on the Tabletop, Part 1, Vehicles

Twilight: 2000 is in some ways, a unique post-apocalyptic experience, it isn't quite Mad Max, it isn't quite Gamma World, or for tha...