Monday, July 16, 2018

Ironclad Miniatures - a review

I know I have been doing a lot of reviews lately, but hey, it's what I have time for what with 20mm WWII dominating my time lately. I am not a prolific painter by any stretch, in fact, the prep for this game was something of me on a mission, so I will be slowing down to something of a more sedate level in the future.

Now that said, I did paint up something of interest to Twilight: 2000 miniatures gamers, and that is some items from Ironclad Miniatures. Specifically, I painted up FP-1a, Hasty Trench Position, and FP - 5, their Prepared Trench. Both come in a hard resin, grey in color, and are lightweight and durable from first blush.

I was really happy with the ease of painting them, after an undercoat of black gesso which held really well, I painted them a shade of BF Woodland Brown overall, and then scattered some Citadel Scorched Grass flock. I then added random tufts from the Army Painter line, as well as some school project rocks that I then painted grey, and drybrushed a lighter grey. the branches were painted a VMC Flat Earth, and the sandbags VMC Middlestone. The wood slats in the trench I hit with a bit of VMC Flat Earth as well, and drybrushed AK New Wood over it. I then hit the item with pin washes of Magik Mudd Wash (sadly no longer available).

All in all, I was pleased with the product, and highly encourage it. They make an entire Vietnam Firebase line of products that would do very well for cantonments, and I am going to say this much, if they paint up as well as these small pieces did, then I am encouraged. They also have some ruins that I got as well (all of the Ironclad Miniatures products were purchased by my wife as a nice Xmas surprise last Christmas!) and some Hedgerows for Normandy. I am especially looking forward to those, as they look to be as easy as chips to assemble and paint up.

Anyhow, here's some pics of the painted products...ready to play:




In short, I give them 5 out of 5 mushroom clouds and will tell you that they are an excellent product, and one you should give a try for any 20th century gaming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Twilight 2000, The Look on the Tabletop, Part 1, Vehicles

Twilight: 2000 is in some ways, a unique post-apocalyptic experience, it isn't quite Mad Max, it isn't quite Gamma World, or for tha...