Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A Somewhat Longer News Post - Lots Going on These Days!

 I promised more, and I am delivering, there's been a lot of developments in the Twilight: 2000 world. First, there's been a release of a new supplement for those fans of US-based campaigns. Namely, the release of the Pacific Northwest Sourcebook. I was very pleased in my first read through of this book, and it's chock full of information (and potential wargaming opportunities, finally, something to do with my 20mm Liberation Canadians armed with FN-FALs and Sterling SMGs!)  

Taken from DriveThruRPG


 The book is comprehensive, smart and well written by Clayton Oliver. My only complaint, no maps. I can't really fault the designer as much as you might think. My own module writing efforts have run into some trouble because of the issue with finding contemporary maps online (there doesn't seem to be a drive to add 1995 AAA or Rand McNally maps online to anywhere. Kind of a pain in the arse, but one does what they can). I especially love the cold weather rules and the vehicles in the book. Japanese AFVs, this I did not expect! 

 But I still highly recommend the book and feel it's well worth the money invested. And for $9.99 as a PDF? It's a bargain. The PDF is available on DriveThruRPG, and is already selling well (It hit Silver Seller on DriveThru already!). I especially like the description of the Soviet advance into Seattle (anyone think Clayton Oliver channeled this PC game when he wrote this? Then again, I sometimes wonder if the designers of World In Conflict channeled Twilight: 2000?), and the detailed breakdown of the various military units available (Hi, ORBAT nerd, comes with being a wargamer.)  I promise a Module Suitability Review soon! Plenty of wargaming ideas to be had here. I give this 4.5 out of 5 mushroom clouds!

 The second bit of news is Chico has struck again, and for this ORBAT nerd, his stuff is always a fun bit of scenario mining, but this time, he has outdone himself. His work, War in the Far North, is just plain gold. He's also working on some stuff that will be of assistance to all Twilight: 2000 players in general, and that's some great info on military operations in the Artic (not just personal survival rules, as found in the Pacific Northwest book) and a good map for campaigning in the Northern Theatre! In short, well done Chico! I promise, a Module Suitability Review is coming!  I give this also 4.5 out of 5 mushroom clouds.

 As for where I have been, well, I have a paid blogging gig with these guys: EpochXperience.


 It's good and It's a paid gig, which is always a good thing for a professional writer like myself (don't panic, I have a day job, also as a writer.) I am trying to post to this blog at least once or twice a month so, so don't fret. I will be making regular posts as often as I can. In the meantime, stay frosty and watch the Giger Counter my friends. 

 


1 comment:

  1. If your looking for cold war maps. I might suggest a android app called Soviet Military Maps. These are Soviet topographical military maps at around 1/50000 scale. Unfortunately it only works on phone. So you'll can save a map and E-mail it to your PC or use a phone emulator like Blue Sticks.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Twilight 2000, The Look on the Tabletop, Part 1, Vehicles

Twilight: 2000 is in some ways, a unique post-apocalyptic experience, it isn't quite Mad Max, it isn't quite Gamma World, or for tha...