Tuesday, December 29, 2020

2020, It 'Twas The Best of Times...Nah, Who Are We Kidding, It Stunk?

 So, I know I've not been as active of late on the blog, and I am hoping 2021 will be better. Partly, I have a paying gig with these nice folks: https://sjrresearch.tumblr.com/.

 It has been busy and I am very proud of the work I've done there. But, it has cut into the time I can give "500 Miles..." That said, I fully intend to put myself on a monthly article schedule and stick to it. I owe my loyal readers that much.

 I also have a lot of Russian Civil War on my mind lately, as I am painting 15mm to do games set during that conflict. 

 As for T2K items, it's been mostly quiet, with the exception of the release of the 4th Edition Alpha to Kickstarter supporters. I will say this much...I wish I could say I was impressed. I wasn't. Sadly, I feel Free League made a very good looking product, that when you scratch the surface, had a lot of problems. Problems that by the time the Alpha rolls around, should at least be addressed, let alone dealt with. 

 I invited Tomas from FL to do another interview to address these questions. He didn't even respond to my request. I am going to repeat that request. But, as of right now, I am going to say this about the 4th Edition. And I say this as a kickstarter backer. Please don't do what Cyberpunk 2077 did and rush this? Take the time and do it right. I am willing to wait. Keep me informed, and keep us in the loop. Want to see a delayed kickstarter done right? Talk to the guys at Catalyst Games Labs. Their Battletech Kickstarters ran into delays, they ran into numerous issues, and they and the fans persevered and in the end, they produced a top-notch product. Free League needs to take that stance.

 Enough said about that. Meanwhile, Mr. James Langham of the "Cold War Goes Hot" vlog on Youtube is coming out with a set of mass battle rules for Twilight: 2000. I suspect they might be based on his current 15mm efforts with "Seven Days to the Rhine" by Great Escape Games. I have a copy of those rules, but something about them doesn't float my personal boat. Not real sure as to why? Too simple I guess? I like my rules with a little crunch in them. Guess it's why I am painting like mad and thinking hard about variants for BG:Northag and FFT3? But who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised? 

I promise I will be posting some more FFT content soon, perhaps some nations OTHER than Poland? 

Other than that, I wish everyone a happy 2021, and we'll talk more very soon! TTFN!



6 comments:

  1. Hi Jason, thanks for the tag. I'm still searching for the perfect WW3 rules, I grew up with WRG in the mid 1980s, tried Command Decision, looked at Team Yankee's tank parks and then tried 7DTTRR which I actually like for the simplicity and the staying power of infantry.

    My rules are being written from the ground up and will use some of the mechanisms from the 4th ed rules to ease transition for players (who may not be wargamers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you doing it James. I don't think there's such thing as "the perfect rules", just what your gaming group is willing to accept.

      Delete
  2. A good post. One of the best rules I've always liked is for the old Timeline Micro Armor Rules for "Close and Destroy", I'd love to see them converted over to 15mm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you finish your painting guides. Still need the Warsaw Pact and Airforces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airforces? Hmmm. I could do "Aircraft schemes of the Twilight War..." As for the rest of the Warsaw Pact? Lemme see what I can dig up?

      Delete
  4. A monthly article schedule? It's June, princess...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Twilight 2000, The Look on the Tabletop, Part 1, Vehicles

Twilight: 2000 is in some ways, a unique post-apocalyptic experience, it isn't quite Mad Max, it isn't quite Gamma World, or for tha...