Friday, September 14, 2018

Battlegroup - Cold War, and how to write some Twilight: 2000 army lists? And, some news from Ehliem Miniatures!

Hey all, sorry I have not written in a while, and this isn't going to be yet another review piece. Right now, I want to talk about converting rules to the Twilight: 2000 milleu and well, how difficult it can be sometimes, especially when you're writing a unofficial supplement to an unofficial supplement!

So, Battlegroup Cold War is the product of Richard Chambers, the fellow who runs the Cold War Hot, Hot, Hot blog. He's basing his fan supplement off of the Battlegroup: World War II rules, written by Warick Kinrade and Piers Brand, which I am a huge fan of (some would say fanatical). I am also as we all know by this blog, a huge fan of things Twilight: 2000. So, like cookies and cream ice cream, I do want to combine the two, right?

Well, it's not as easy as it sounds. For starters, a lot of the "units" in Twilight: 2000 are smaller cores of once proud divisions and brigades that have been shattered by unceasing combat, as well as the breakdown of the logistics network. They're often a collection of survivors who would have, under better circumstances, been pulled off the line and given a bit of rest. Not so here. Then you have all the other armed groups, some that made Twilight: 2000 pretty memorable indeed, such as the Black Baron's Army, or the ORMO of Krakow? I mean, I still would love to do the culminating battle of the Ruins of Warsaw module on the table top?

But one of the main features of Battlegroup is the army list. Not a bad thing. To me, Battlegroup does army lists right. No min-maxing, stress on the historicals and going for a "feel" of a given army. So far, so good. But how does one do a "feel" for an army for a war, that thank god, never happened?

It's not easy, but I am attempting it. Let's talk about the American list. It's the first list I am working on, and it's becoming I think, the "rosetta stone" for the other lists I intend to work on.

First, I made most of the troop types more experienced, why? Simple. If you've managed to live this long in Twilight: 2000, you probably at least know which end of the rifle goes bang, and how to use it to stay alive. Sure, there's all kinds of levees en masse, but survival in this milleu is a hard school, and one had better be smart about it. So thus, better experience levels.

Second, I reduced numbers. There's now a generic infantry platoon, and it's running around in trucks, with restricted upgrades for more advanced ironmongery. Lots of the cool gear is restricted, or in some cases, unique. It's only going to get worse for the "other armed groups". Point totals have also been increased to make the armies smaller, which also fits in with the milleu, and I am making heavy use of the "War Weary" rule, which makes the likelihood of anybody wanting to be a hero much smaller. As for artillery, well, Mortars are about the only common means of fire support, which also fits in with the milleu.

Third, I am toying with some ideas like allowing stills to refuel units that have run out of gas. "Still Trucks" anyone? I have some American horse cav in the recon section (Hey thanks Ehliem Miniatures for that one!) and I intend to really go nuts with it in the Soviet and Polish lists. Hey, they have whole cavalry divisions!!

The list isn't ready yet, and there's still some special rules I want to play with before I send it to Richard for his looksee, but I want to let people know, yep, I am writing this thing, and yeah, I am having fun with it.

*************************************

Now, the news. Ehliem Miniatures conducted a survey on Facebook about a month ago, and the winners were Post-Apocalyptic figures and WWII Hungarians (I voted for both of em). I've submitted some ideas, and the first stuff has come out, and while it's more Mad Max than Twilight: 2000, it's got some ideas for arming all sorts of stuff, like Polish River Tugs maybe?

Here's Matt Hingley in his own words:

A quick message to tell you lots of new releases now available (see the All New section) including Strykers, USMC, Sci Fi, Gasland modifications parts.

Last month on Facebook we asked you (well, those on FB anyway) for ideas for our next range. The top 10 requests were then voted on and Gaslands/Mad Max/Post Apoc won, followed by WW2 Hungarians. Both of these projects are underway now with Phase one of the Post Apoc ranges now up. Next on the list are the first of the PA factions in miniatures.


Some of the pictures have got some really useful stuff!


Both pictures taken from Ehliem Miniatures website


I like em, really well casted for the most part, usual high level of detail we expect from Matt. Yep, I will pick some of these up when I can, I've got some plastic Battlefield Evolution trucks that need machine guns.....

Well, that's it for now. More is coming from Jorge, as he is busy building up a storm down in Florida, and we will see what he can write up for us!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting prospect, indeed! A "T2000-supplement" for the coming Battlegroup Cold War would be a dream coming true. I really like the idea of turning the large scale battles from the adventure modules into tabletop.
    More experienced troops but less modern equipment is a nice thought for some specialized rules with a lot of things which could be added, such as equipment/ vehicles from enemy nations, fighting civilans, radiation, rare high-tech items... I'm really looking forward to this!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Another cool idea, Jason. How do you keep th eenergy up!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Twilight 2000, The Look on the Tabletop, Part 1, Vehicles

Twilight: 2000 is in some ways, a unique post-apocalyptic experience, it isn't quite Mad Max, it isn't quite Gamma World, or for tha...